Event has already taken place!
LGBT Secrets of the Louvre Museum
sun25oct11:00 amsun1:15 pmLGBT Secrets of the Louvre MuseumProfessor Andrew Lear
The Louvre is the world’s largest and most-visited art museum, and it contains many of the world’s most famous artworks, such as the Venus de Milo and the Monna Lisa.
The Louvre is the world’s largest and most-visited art museum, and it contains many of the world’s most famous artworks, such as the Venus de Milo and the Monna Lisa. It is also a kind of temple of the Classical tradition—arranged almost as an argument, that neo-Classical France, from the Renaissance through the Empire, is the cultural heir of Greece, Rome, and the Italian Renaissance. And the Classical tradition has always gone hand in hand with the homoerotic tradition, of which the Louvre contains a number of the greatest examples. On this fun and informative 75-minute Zoom tour (with Q&A), you will learn about:
- Love in the Greek gymnasium
- the Hermaphrodite, myth, and sexuality
- Emperor Hadrian and his lover Antinous (of whom the Louvre has 4 busts!)
- Michelangelo’s Dying Slave and his love poetry
- Leonardo’s St. John the Baptist and his great love, il Salai
- A gay French king or 2
- Gay lib in the French revolution
- Homoerotic art of the Napoleonic era
- And more…
Don’t miss this opportunity to learn about the Louvre’s fascinating LGBT side—so you won’t miss it the next time you go to Paris!
(Sunday) 11:00 am - 1:15 pm
Virtual Event Details